It is here at the southern archipelago of Norway where one of its oldest cities – Kristiansand is located. The surrounding archipelago were inhabited 4,000 years before the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt were built. People have been here for a long, long, time.
Kristiansand as it exists today sprang up about the 5th Century and it was over a thousand years later when King Christian IV visited and named the city after him in 1641.
Though the city’s wooden buildings have been ravaged by fire a number of times throughout its history, portions of the old town still remain and are preserved by the city’s historical society.
In 1641 the town of Christianssand was formally founded the opposite bank of the Torridalselva (Otra River).
The town was laid out in Renaissance style on a grid plan, with the central section now known as Kvadraturen (The Quarters), and merchants throughout the County of Agder were commanded to move to the new town.
Part of the Vest-Agder Museums, the Kristiansand Museum, is southern Norway's largest historical museum. Located at Kongsgård, it consists of the Open-Air Museum, a town of miniature houses and the main building.
The open-air museum consists of 34 old houses in three areas: Bygade, Setesdal yard and Vest-Agder yard, some dating back to 1580 complete with schools, barns, stables, and storehouses.
Learn more here.